The plan was good, and the weather forecast was with me. To try a flight from a very special peak for me. Neådalssnota in Trollheimen. Hoping to fly all the way from the summit to Kaarvatn. It was a nine kilometers flight, on South Easterly wind, my novice head told me that could be good. That was not good, and it did not happened.
With the weather forecast in mind I started the trip the evening before. Asked my good friend Gudmund Kårvatn about his hut up in the mountain, and I went up to the hut during the evening picking cloudberry´s for breakfast. It was just fantastic evening and it was 15 years since I had stayed at the hut. Slept there and started the accent of the peak next morning in perfect weather.
On the way up the ridge. Still 600 fee to go
Even some wind on the lake which was forecasted. On the summit it was no wind at all and was sitting there for three hours. I need wind from east or south east. The area is covered with just stones, and the angel of the take off area and distance of it, 10 meters was not steep enough without some wind. But suddenly it came and I was on.
Finally 6 knots wind
Shocking turbulence out from exit.
Turbulence and rotors continued, but rested.
And suddenly it was lots of turbulens and even rotors out from the summit. Felt I had a wing collapse, but after that, it was a ok ride for a long way until I experienced that I would not reach my goal. Started to watch for alternative landing spots. At the same moment I also experience that the wind had turned 180 degrees. It went fast and the ground was not pleasant. Really kicked mye ankel and foot. I understood I could not walk down. So I was looking up on a new summit. Took me an hour of pain. No wind, and had a short but good take off and landed at my final goal in dead air. It hurt. But nothing was broken.
Final takeoff with lots of pain and hoping for a nice landing.
You must be logged in to post a comment.